Types of Hospital Error Lawsuits
We have all heard the stories. The wrong patient undergoes an amputation operation and needlessly loses a leg. It is frightening and unbelievable, but unfortunately true. Careless incidents take place in hospitals all over the country, along with various other types of medical malpractice that injure or kill patients. Statistics show that between one and two hundred thousand patients a year are harmed in the course of treatment for medical conditions. At Foley Law Firm, we have been representing medical malpractice clients for years, and have seen the effects of negligence in a hospital setting. With a full-time medical doctor and registered nurse on staff, we are very successful in our pursuit of justice for innocent victims of medical mistakes. To learn more about the various types of hospital error lawsuits and schedule a free consultation, contact our Scranton or Stroudsburg office today.
Types of Hospital Errors
Patients expect doctors and nurses to be educated, highly trained, and well supervised. By the very nature of their work, lives hang in the balance. Most medical caregivers are skilled and reliable, but unfortunately, not all. Even the best are susceptible to making mistakes when faced with distraction, discomfort, or overwork. Errors in the hospital may be made by equipment technicians, orderlies, and even the administrative staff who make decisions pertaining to staffing and safety protocols. Equipment can sometimes malfunction, and an unclean environment can spread infection.
Common types of hospital errors that can cause injury to patients or even result in wrongful death include:
- Surgical errors, including operating on the wrong patient or body part, injuring a nearby organ, or leaving surgical tools in the patient's body
- Anesthesia errors
- Medication mix-ups, including administrating too much or dosing a patient who is allergic to the medication
- Inadequate sanitation that spreads disease
- Malfunctioning equipment, such as life-sustaining machinery, intravenous (IV) drips or testing equipment
- Understaffing leading to inadequate patient care or monitoring
- Mistakes made while transporting or moving patients, causing falls
- Misreading of a patient's chart or test results
- Misdiagnosis based on testing or pathology lab mistakes
- Security breaches or hiring of unqualified or unstable personnel
- Birth injuries caused by errors in the delivery room or neonatal unit
- Emergency room misdiagnosis or patient neglect
How We Can Help
The lawyers at Foley Law Firm work diligently to uncover and assess evidence of negligence on the part of hospital employees in your case. Our attorneys do not take medical malpractice lightly. We are the only Northern Pennsylvania personal injury firm with a full-time medical doctor and registered nurse on staff, and are known to be meticulously thorough in our approach. Our success is evidenced by a strong record of verdicts and settlements obtained for clients.
Contact Our Firm Today
At Foley Law Firm, we love our work and truly care about finding justice for victims. Because we operate on a contingency fee basis only, our clients do not pay us a dime until we have obtained a settlement or jury award. If you or your loved one has been a victim of surgical or hospital error, schedule a free consultation today.