Drunk driving accidents are particularly dangerous. They were responsible for 25 percent of the total traffic fatalities in Pennsylvania as of 2016. The car accident attorneys at Foley Law Firm in Scranton, PA, have spent decades securing damages for their clients after drunk driving accidents. Since 1979, we have been helping our clients overcome the many challenges caused by their injuries so that they can focus on recovery. If you or a loved on have recently been in a drunk driving accident, contact us online or call one of our locations to speak with one of our knowledgeable attorneys who can help you pursue justice.
Drunk Driving in Pennsylvania
According to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, 28 alcohol-related crashes occurred on average each day and 297 individuals died in these accidents in 2016. Drunk driving accidents occurred most commonly between midnight and four in the morning on weekends. Alcohol-related crashes are exceptionally dangerous and, according to research, were 3.8 times more likely to lead to fatal injury.
While drinking alcohol is a significant contributor to these types of accidents, many victims are unaware that a drunk driving accident can involve individuals who are intoxicated by drugs. If you are one of the 18 victims on average per day who were harmed in a drunk driving accident, you may be entitled to damages.
Types of Compensation You Can Collect
Due to the often severe injuries sustained in drunk driving accidents, you may be entitled to several types of damages including:
- Medical Costs
- Hospitalization, surgery, and ongoing therapy are all mounting medical costs often faced by drunk driving accident victims and can be a lifelong burden. Damages for medical costs can help cover these essential expenses.
- Pain and Suffering
- Experiencing a traumatic or life-changing accident can take a serious toll on your well-being, both physically and emotionally. Damages for pain and suffering are meant to help cover this hardship.
- Lost Wages
- With many serious injuries resulting from these types of accidents, it is not abnormal for clients to be unable to go back to work for weeks, months, or even years. Compensation for lost wages can help you sustain financial security for you and your family.
- Potential Funeral & Burial Costs
- According to the National Funeral Directors Association, the average cost of a funeral with viewing and burial was over $7,000, an expense that many grieving families struggle to afford. If you or a loved one has sustained critical injuries and are at risk of losing their life, you may be entitled to damages for future funeral and burial costs.
A skilled personal injury lawyer is critical to help you hold a drunk driver responsible and obtain maximum restitution.
Our Knowledge & Resources Work to Your Advantage
In addition to the driver, victims can also hold a business or individual that has served a visibly intoxicated individual legally responsible for damages they have caused. Known as the Dram Shop Law, it can be essential to helping you receive the compensation you deserve for your suffering. Our knowledgeable lawyers will create a strategy based on this and other state laws that can work to your advantage.
We are passionate about helping our clients seek justice for the life-changing injuries they have suffered.
Our firm also has medical experts on staff to properly assess your injuries from broken bones to traumatic brain injuries. Their assessment can provide a powerful basis for building your case and estimating future medical expenses.
We Are Ready to Fight for You
We are passionate about helping our clients seek justice for the life-changing injuries they have suffered. Do not be intimidated by insurance companies or the complex legal process. We can help you collect. Contact us online or call one of our locations to schedule your consultation.