If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, reach out to us as soon as possible to discuss the circumstances with one of our car accident attorneys. Since 1979, Foley Law Firm, based in Scranton, PA, has been helping car accident victims secure the verdicts and settlements necessary to move forward with their life. We understand the toll that significant property damage and persistent, often crippling, injuries can have on your life and are passionate about seeking justice. Call one of our locations or contact us online for a free consultation.
What to Do after a Car Accident
There are several essential steps you should take immediately following your accident:
- Check yourself and passengers for injuries
- Move to a safe area. If you can, move your car to the side of the road. Otherwise, get to the sidewalk.
- Call 911 and wait for them to arrive. You should turn off your engine and turn on your hazards in the meantime to alert other drivers.
- Exchange information with the other driver including their driver's license number, license plate number, insurance, and contact details
- Document the accident by asking for a copy of the police report, taking photos, and making notes of any important details. If possible, it is also beneficial to gather witness statements.
- Notify your insurer of your accident
- Do not admit fault, apologize for the accident, or make any statements that you or your passengers are uninjured even if significant injuries are not immediately apparent. Foley Law Firm has a full-time physician and nurse on staff to assess injuries.
You should also contact an attorney as soon as possible after your accident. Our lawyers can guide you through the next steps to move forward with your case during your free case evaluation.
Types of Damages You May Be Entitled To
The aftermath of a car accident can impact various aspects of your life. As such your compensation may include:
- Medical Expenses
- Car accident victims usually begin incurring medical bills immediately after the accident, including ambulance transportation, hospitalization, and surgery. Unfortunately, that may not be the end of your medical care. Often, victims require long-term physical therapy, counseling, and even future surgeries. Pursuing a lawsuit can help you cover all of your medical costs.
- Lost Wages
- The serious injuries caused by car accidents result in many of our clients being unable to work. Missing work can impact your financial stability for the weeks during your initial recovery or for years afterwards. This can place a substantial financial burden on you and your family. Typically, the amount of compensation for lost wages depends on your age, career, and skill level.
We understand the toll that significant property damage and persistent, often crippling, injuries can have on your life and are passionate about seeking justice.
- Pain and Suffering
- Sometimes referred to as non-economic damages, this type of compensation refers to the psychological and mental duress experienced after your accident. While it is difficult to attribute monetary value to your post-accident anguish, courts typically use a per diem system which establishes a financial value for each day of distress you have suffered to calculate the sum of these damages.
- Property Damage
- In most car accidents, there is also physical damage to your vehicle. This can lead to expensive repairs, rental car or transportation costs, and the need to replace items inside the vehicle that were broken. These damages may or may not be covered by insurance but even if you are offered a settlement, it may not be a fair value.
Our personal injury lawyers are familiar with the various factors that can affect the amount of damages your are entitled to and are passionate about advocating on your behalf.
Car Accidents by the Numbers
In 2016, there were 82,971 individuals injured in car accidents in the state of Pennsylvania. Of those victims, 4,397 were seriously injured and 1,188 suffered fatal injuries.
Ethical & Effective Legal Representation
You deserve effective legal representation that is dedicated to serving your best interest. Foley Law Firm is dedicated to using our resources, knowledge, and legal prowess to help you receive fair restitution for your suffering. To schedule your free consultation, contact us online or call one of our locations today.