Car Accidents and Road Construction
Road construction is necessary for expanding, repairing, and improving the roads but it can make for some hazardous driving conditions in the process. At Foley Law Firm, our car accident lawyers help clients injured in car accidents recover financial compensation for their injuries and other damages while holding negligent parties accountable.
Car accidents and road construction is a serious issue in Scranton, PA, Stroudsburg, PA, Wilkes-Barre, PA, and surrounding areas. This is why the attorneys of Foley Law Firm would like to take a moment to consider the dangers of road construction for Pennsylvania drivers and what options accident victims have in pursuing damages.
Road Construction Zones and the Increased Risk of Car Accidents
Although road construction is essential for repairing and upgrading streets and highways, it causes changes that can increase the risk of serious accidents.
According to the Federal Highway Administration, fatal crashes in construction zones increased by 11 percent from 2018 to 2019. Nearly a quarter of fatal accidents involved rear-end collisions and over 30 percent involved speeding.
Accidents that don’t end in fatalities can still leave drivers and passengers with serious, life-changing injuries.
The Hazards of Road Construction Zones
There are several reasons road construction zones can be more hazardous to drivers. Perhaps one of the biggest reasons is changes in the road around construction areas can surprise drivers and increase the risk of accidents. Some other common road construction hazards include:
- Traffic pattern changes: Traffic pattern changes are common to road construction. Narrowing lanes, lane closures, and detours can throw drivers off when they’re used to certain routes. If drivers aren’t paying attention, unexpected changes in the road can cause them to crash.
- Decreased visibility: Road construction can decrease visibility for drivers, making it difficult for them to see oncoming hazards.
- Large construction equipment and materials: Large construction vehicles and construction materials can block visibility, create narrow passageways, or otherwise cause hazardous road conditions for drivers.
- Changes in speed limits: It’s common for speed limits to be reduced in construction areas. Inattentive drivers may not notice the change in speed limits, causing them to drive too fast in a construction zone.
- Insufficient signage: If signage about lane closures or other construction changes are lacking, drivers may be unprepared for road changes, potentially leading to an accident.
Seek Financial Compensation for Damages
Those who have been injured in an accident in a road construction zone may be entitled to compensation for their injuries and other damages. A car accident attorney can help negotiate a fair settlement with insurance companies or damages may be sought through a lawsuit when injuries were caused by another party’s negligence.
It may be possible to recover financial compensation for such damages as:
- Medical expenses
- Physical therapy expenses
- Lost wages
- Property damage
Contact the Attorneys of Foley Law Firm
If you have been injured in a car accident, it’s important to speak with a car accident attorney. At Foley Law Firm, our car accident attorneys can review your case to help determine the best course of action for your injury claim. To schedule a consultation call the attorneys of Foley Law Firm at (570) 342-8194.