Nursing Homes in Pennsylvania Receive Poor Grades
There is a major problem with nursing home malpractice in the state of Pennsylvania. Our elderly loved ones are being abused, mistreated, and neglected at a point in their lives when they deserve the utmost care and attention. This is unacceptable, and part of the reason why the attorneys at the Foley Law Firm take these cases so seriously.
Below we’ll take a look at the extent of this nursing home crisis in our state. We’ll also list some of the worst nursing homes in Pennsylvania according to federal agencies.
The Problem with Pennsylvania Nursing Homes
Senior care facilities were evaluated by the organization Families for Better Care, a non-profit advocacy group that evaluates the conditions at nursing homes across the country. The organization gave Pennsylvania nursing homes an F grade. The state ranks 46th overall in terms of providing safe senior care, which is absolutely unacceptable.
Previously, the organization gave Pennsylvania nursing homes a D grade in terms of overall quality. While not a failing grade, our elderly loved ones should not have to face these kinds of conditions while they are in enjoying their golden years.
16 Pennsylvania Nursing Homes Among the Worst in America
The situation becomes even worse when you consider this letter from the Department of Health and Human Services. This list of assisted-living and senior care centers includes facilities with persistent complaints over living conditions, health violations, and safety standards.
Of the almost 400 facilities listed, 16 are in the state of Pennsylvania. These nursing homes are as follows:
- Willow Terrace Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Philadelphia, PA
- The Grove at Latrobe in Latrobe, PA
- Corner View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Pittsburgh, PA
- Conner-Williams Nursing Home in Ridley Park, PA
- Shippensburg Health Care Center in Shippensburg, PA
- Cheltenham Nursing & Rehabilitation Center in Philadelphia, PA
- Brighton Rehabilitation and Wellness Center in Beaver, PA
- Mountain View Care and Rehabilitation Center in Scranton, PA
- Meadow View Nursing Center in Berlin, PA
- Chestnut Hill Lodge Health and Rehab Center in Glenside, PA
- The Gardens at Blue Ridge in Harrisburg, PA
- Spring Creek Rehabilitation & Health Care Center in Harrisburg, PA
- The Gardens at Stroud in East Stroudsburg, PA
- Cathedral Village in Philadelphia, PA
- Garden Spring Nursing & Rehabilitation Center in Willow Grove, PA
- William Penn Care Center & Personal Care in Jeannette, PA
- The Gardens at West Shore in Camp Hill, PA
- Twin Lakes Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center in Greensburg, PA
- The Grove at North Huntingdon in Irwin, PA
- Falling Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Chambersburg, PA
Reasons Why These Nursing Homes Are So Poorly Graded
There are a few common reasons cited for the poor performance of Pennsylvania’s nursing homes:
- Nursing homes are understaffed
- Nursing home staff are underpaid
- Nursing homes face a high rate of turnover
- Proper care at nursing homes is being provided
Beyond the intolerable conditions at nursing homes, there are also instances of abuse suffered by the elderly at the hands of employees. This abuse can take many forms, from physical and sexual abuse to psychological and emotional abuse. Mistreatment of this vulnerable population cannot be excused.
What to Do If an Elderly Loved One Is Mistreated
If you suspect that an elderly loved one is being mistreated at their senior care facility, be sure to remove your loved one from that center immediately. Make formal reports about the potential abuse to the proper state agencies, and then contact a skilled attorney to see about legal options.
Speak with Our Team of Attorneys
For more information about your legal remedies after an elderly loved one has been seriously injured, be sure to contact our team of elder abuse and neglect attorneys. You can reach our law firm by phone at (570) 209-8240.